XML Api and APP Passwords | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

XML Api and APP Passwords

• Does anyone know if it's possible to create APP Passwords using the XML API?

• At this time, there is not a way to create app passwords using the XML API.  I'll add it to our wish list to be considered for future versions.

• Okay, thank you. Where can I follow this item to see if it makes it?

Is there any other API you offer which could be used?

• You can watch the release notes, or just follow this discussion group and we will try to update it when the changes are made.

There is not another API that can be used.  I'm not sure if it will help, but a global administator can manually create app passwords for users using MDaemon Remote Administration.

• I'll look into extending the API for this for possible inclusion in MD 24.0

• Just for the sake of completeness (we are talking about an entirely different mechanism for invoking the MDaemon APIs), I have prepared an example script for managing app passwords from the command line. Keep in mind that this is a proof of concept rather than a production-ready script.

The source can be found here: app-password.js

Running the script without specifying any parameters or options shows this synopsis:

Usage: app-password [options] [command]

CLI to manage MD application passwords.

Options:
    -V, --version output the version number
    -h, --help display help for command

Commands:
    list [options]
    add [options]
    delete [options]
    clear [options]
    query [options]
    required [options]
    optional [options]
    help [command] display help for command

• Can this be used now or will this be part of the v24 mentioned above?

• @Daniel as I wrote, that script uses a completely different API invocation method from the one discussed in this tread (it uses the node-mdaemon-api for MDaemon 23.5.x which requires Node.js to be installed on the same machine where MDaemon is installed).

I published the script because it allows some of the things mentioned in this thread to be done on the same machine where MDaemon is located.

The official XML APIs have the undeniable advantage of allowing MDaemon's APIs to be invoked from any server on the Internet, provided it is properly authorised to do so.

In order to have the remote access functionality of the XML API, my node-mdaemon-api module would have to have an ancillary module to expose them as web services: given that it is relatively simple to create web services with Node.js, time permitting, I could put together a proof of concept.

• @Daniel 

From the v24.0 XMLAPI "Changes and development notes" (the top link from the API Help Portal).

Version 24.0.0

In response to 'https://mdaemon.com/community/forums/topic/120255/xml-api-and-app-passwords' see Work Item 27468 below.

Changes since the previous version.

27468 : Allow App Passwords to be created via the XML-API

The Provision operation now supports the maintenance of Application Passwords. See Provision_AppPasswords_*.xml samples.

27470 : Restrict XMLAPI to local IPs by default

With this version, by default, the API will be restricted to IP Addresses listed in your MDaemon configuation of LAN IP Addresses and Trusted IP Addresses. You can modify this using the SetAddressRestriction operation. See the sample for SetAddressRestriction for additional attributes that can be specified. This can also be modified from the Configuration Property Sheet from the main MDaemon UI.