Set Email Via Outlook Application In Android Issue | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

Set Email Via Outlook Application In Android Issue

• Morning team, may need your assist on this issue.

As we had using MDaemon as our main email service, we had try using these protocols such as Auto and STARTTLS certificates in desktop computers via Outlook without any problems. 

But the main issue is when we tried to use these settings on Android phone via Outlook application, it wont proceed to complete the setup. Any advice?

Desktop computers /Laptops Outlook Configuration

Auto certificate

Port 143, 587 - Tested Ok.

STARTTLS certificate

Port 143, 587 -Tested Ok.

Android Outlook Configuration

Auto certificate

Failed due to no this Auto certificate.

STARTTLS certificate

Failed on both even changing ports..

Port 993, 465 Failed

Port 143, 587 Failed

As checked in our Remote Administration, all these ports are enabled.

Kindly need your assist. Thanks.

• Are you using a self signed certificate?

What host names does the certificate support?

What host name is the outlook for android client using to connect? 

• Our host name for both IMAP and SMTP using this

mail.vanli.com.my

Port 143. 587 (Auto) Instead Of StartTLS in Desktop Computer / Laptop.

Even StartTLS will work is Outlook Desktop / Laptop

But for Outlook Android/IOS, it wont proceed unless I using NONE certificate.

(NONE) Certificate able proceed in mobile but just for receiving, sent out it will be an issue and stuck in Draft folder.

• @Arron Is this the setting in here cause the issue? As mentioned our Active Sync version is updated. 23.0.

• Is your mail server available on the internet via ports 80 and 443?    I'm not able to connect to it on port 80 or 443 using the host name provided. I get connection timed out errors.

Outlook for mobile devices does not connect directly to your server, it connects to servers hosted by Microsoft and those servers connect to your server. So in order to use Outlook on a mobile device, your server must be available on the internet.

• What you mean? Do you mean I need to add port 80 and 443 in our MDaemon email server?

As we checked in our email server, our ports had set to 110, 25, 143, 587, 993, 465. For both POP and IMAP.

• If you want to use ActiveSync, yes you need ports 80 or 443 open.  Are you configuring Outlook for Android to use ActiveSync, IMAP, or POP?

I am also not able to connect to your server on ports 993, 995, or 465.  So if Outlook for Android is trying to use those ports for SSL connections, it will fail. It should be able to make a connection on port 143 and use STARTTLS though.  

Are other IMAP clients able to connect from the internet and use SSL/STARTTLS?

Can you send me credentials for a test account on your server so that I can try to connect?  You can send them to me privately @ arron.caruth@mdaemon.com.

• Morning, we are not move into Active Sync. Just curious that when we set Outlook on mobile phone only will cause the issue. But others email app does not have the issue.

For add ports 80 and 443, may I ask these ports is specifically for Outlook Mobile ports?

For now can you guide us through the process to solving this issue? Due to we cannot give access for sharing out the login credentials for Remote Administration.

Are other IMAP clients able to connect from the internet and use SSL/STARTTLS? (SSL wont work, Auto/StartTLS will work on computers and 3rd party mobile email apps).

Please advice. Thanks.

• For add ports 80 and 443, may I ask these ports is specifically for Outlook Mobile ports?

You only need these ports for Webmail or ActiveSync.  They are not specific to Outlook Mobile.

Due to we cannot give access for sharing out the login credentials for Remote Administration.

I do not need credentials for Remote Administration.  I'm requesting credentials for a standard user account account on your server with no admin access, so I can test with an IMAP client and with Outlook for mobile. 

When you attempt to connect with outlook for mobile, do you see any connections in the IMAP logs? What does the IMAP log show is happening? 

If you do not see anything logged in the IMAP log, do you see any connecctions being blocked by dynamic screening, IP screening, location screening or anything else? 

Can you upload all of your MDaemon logs for a day when you tried to setup Outlook for Android?  YOu can upload the log files to https://mdaemon.sharefile.com/r-r77d4332c21ab4a28afe9e84ea94e2f3c 

• You can try login this user account.

https://183.21.26.93:3000

Outlook Mobile had done setup after I choose Without SSL (None) for both IMAP and SMTP. It can receive emails but when sent out it will be an issue. Stuck in Draft permanently.

• If that link unable to proceed. Can try this.

https://webmail.vanli.com.my:3000

Hostname for our email setup : both IMAP and SMTP is using mail.vanli.com.my

For your reference.

• I tested with an IMAP client and confirmed that ports 993 and 465 are not available on the internet.  Is your firewall allowing traffic inbound on these ports?  When I try to connect on those ports, I get an error, "Could not open connection to host"  

I was able to connect using ports 143 and 587 when the client was forcing the use of STARTTLS.

I was also able to connect to https://webmail.vanli.com.my:3000.

Unfortunately none of this explains why Outlook for Android is not able to connect when using SSL/TLS, unless of course Outlook for Andoird is trying to connect on ports 993 and 465.  What do the MDaemon IMAP logs show when Outlook for Android tries to use SSL/TLS?   What does MDaemon's System log show?  What does MDaemon's dynamic screening log show? 

• @Vanli I removed the credentials from this post.  It is generally a bad idea to post credentials in a public forum.  You should change the password for the test account.  If you do, please email me privately with the new password.

• Hi Arron, sorry for the incovenience.

May you start a private chat to us? As I cannot even proceed due to after I click your username, the permission is denied.

Thanks.

• If you are wanting to send me the new password just email it to me, arron.caruth@mdaemon.com

Please also upload or email the requested logs.

All of our support options can be found at https://mdaemon.com/pages/support-options

• Thank you for the updated password.

Unfortunately none of the testing I've done explains why Outlook for Android is not able to connect when using SSL/TLS, unless of course Outlook for Andoird is trying to connect on ports 993 and 465.  What do the MDaemon IMAP logs show when Outlook for Android tries to use SSL/TLS?   What does MDaemon's System log show?  What does MDaemon's dynamic screening log show? 

• Hi Arron, morning. These are all the logs that I extracted. Base on today, I had setup Outlook in android using None SSL to work it out.

As i had sent out a test message but it still stay in Draft folder, even recipient wont receive it. So i took a chance to monitor the logs files and update here. Please take a look. Thanks.

• Can you send me all of the MDaemon logs from today? Please upload them to https://mdaemon.sharefile.com/r-r77d4332c21ab4a28afe9e84ea94e2f3c

• 1 / 2