MDaemon Clustering | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

MDaemon Clustering

• Hi All,

Looking for any advice on setting up a load balancer for MDaemon Clustering for failover. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on which ones to use and how to set up?  Is the application level the best option?  What should we be monitoring for in MDaemon?

Thanks!

• Hi Joan,

I don't have a ton of experience with load balancers, but I know it can be complicated. There are some great articles on google about hardware vs software.  It seems the best is going to be what works best in your environment.  Hopewfully some users with more experience with load balancers will offer some suggestions about which ones to use.

As for what to monitor in MDaemon, it may depend on what the load balancer you chose is capable of, but my first thought is that you should monitor the ports that are critical in your evironment to ensure MDaemon is responding.  If you are using ActiveSync and you need to ensure it is available, then I'd start with ports 80 and 443.  If inbound SMTP is critical, then make sure you monitor port 25.  If users are using IMAP then ports 143 and/or 993.  

Also, don't forget to add the IPs of your load balancer to the allow lists in MDaemon.  You don't want MDaemon blocking the IP of your load balancer because it connected too many times.  Once its up and running, you may also want to add the IPs of your load balancer to the NoLogFromIP.dat file so that the connections are not logged.  While this makes troubleshooting load balancer issues more difficult, it makes troubleshooting mail issues easier as there are not constant connections being logged.