WorldClient.exe memory usage since update to 23.5.2 | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

WorldClient.exe memory usage since update to 23.5.2

• Hi, I updated our MDaemon server to 23.5.2 version two day ago. The process WorldClient.exe memory usage is growing contantly. This morning after 6 hours of use it grows to 900MB of RAM used with 20 user/clients connected to webmail. Now with 10/12 user using webmail the memory consumtion is 1.25GB. 

Memory does not seem to be released after some users/clients disconnect their sessions. With the version 23.5.1 in the next day the memory was released, but it seems that is not released with the 23.5.2 version.

Is this normal?. Can I do something adjusting some parameters in the config?.

Regards

Santi

• Please collect a series of hang dumps for the worldclient.exe process using the instructions found here, https://knowledge.mdaemon.com/how-to-collect-hang-dumps.  

Once all the dump files have been collected please place them in a zip file, along with your webmail and wdaemon logs for the day and upload them to https://mdaemon.sharefile.com/r-r77d4332c21ab4a28afe9e84ea94e2f3c

• Good morning Arron, I'm uploading now a new dumps files collected right now following exactly your instructions. The first tha I uploaded was wrong.

• Thank you for the additional dump files.  We are still investigating and will let you know as soon as we figure it out.  

Thank you for your patience.

• Godd morning Arron,

I'm now uploading a new dump created this morning after the weekend. On Friday at noon I restarted the Webmail service, there were only 4/5 users connected, on Saturday 24 only 2 users were still connected via MDIM and probably with the browser closed, these users are from a remote office of our company and I think these users did not close their computer at the end of the work on Friday and MDIM remained started. The same situation on Sunday 25, the same 2 clients were still connected to MDIM and some users accessing from home to webmail directly from a browser closing the session after a short time. This morning, Monday 26th, the 2 users with MDIM remain connected and the memory consumption was 750/800MB.

• Today after I created the new dump I restarted the Webmail at 07:00am, now after an hour with 14 users connected to webmail the memory consumption is 520MB.  I'll keep monitoring memory consumption today and I'll keep you informed.

• Thank you for the additional details.  We are still investigating to figure out what is happening and will take a look new dump files.

• As a temporal workaround I can restart by night the webmail service or every 8 hours for example?. There's a good and safe way to do it?.

• Yes, you can restart webmail to help work around the issue.  The easiest way to restart webmail is to create a file named RESTARTWC.SEM and place it in the MDaemon\app directory.  MDaemon regularly checks for these files and when found it will restart webmail for you.

• Hi Arron, any news about this issue?.

For now I created a task to restart WC every 8 hours. Today since the restart at 07:00am the Worldclient is consuming 1205MB of RAM.

Santi

• We found the memory leak and are working on fixing it.  Once its fixed we'll do a round of testing on it and if everything goes to plan, be able to provide an updated file to correct the issue.  

Thank you for your patience.

• Good news Arron, many thanks for all.

Now the Worldclient is consuming 1300MB after a day of work constantly with 15-20 users.  Right now 3 users that left their MDIM started are connected. At 23:00hrs the task will restart the Worldclient.

Regards

Santi

• We have an updated worldclient.dll for you to use. It has had a limited amount of testing, but so far is preforming well for us. To use the new file, make a backup of the existing \MDaemon\WorldClient\HTML\worldclient.dll file, replace it with this file, and then restart webmail.

Please let us know if you have any issues. 

• Hi Arron, I'm testing the new worldclient.dll. Memory consumption for now is quite better. 435MB with 14 users connected. It seems that when user disconnects his session some memory is released.

I'll keep you informed.

• Thank you for letting us know.

• We have not been concerned about excessive memory consumption. We are concerned that consumption was rising even though there were few users connected or users who connect, disconnects during the day.

For the moment I have disabled the task to restart worldclient and see what happens from now to tomorrow morning when users start work.

• Right now with 6 users connected to Worldclient is consuming about 220MB. When  I left the office with 12/15 users was 430MB.

• After a day of uninterrupted operation the modified version of Worldclient.dll seems to work well.  Release memory as users disconnect and do not overconsume when users connect, disconnect and reconnect. Global memory usage is lower than previous versions, even too low. Although we have not noticed exaggerated slowness in the operation of Webmail.

The number of users connected to Webmail is usually between 10 and 25 maximum during the working day.  The maximum memory consumption that I had seen before the last update was never very much over 900MB. And the memory early in the morning went down to 300/400MB.

This morning it was about 250MB with about 6/7 users connected from the previous day via MDIM or who had left their computers on. The maximum consumption I detected this morning was 605MB with 20 users connected at the same time. 

Some users connect via IMAP from their computers or mobile phones that do not influence Webmail's memory consumption and MDaemon is running well.

Many thanks for all

Santi

• Hi,  I am having this problem with 23.5.2 64bit. Worldclient.exe is suing 3,402 MB right now.

It looks like the above file will fix this. Is it at the point that I can use it in a production envirnment? Or should I wait for the offical update?

I am having some other problems with 23.5.2. I am hoping that they are also getting fixed.

Thank you for your input,

Scott

• We have a number of customrs using the updated dll in production and reporting that it has fixed the issue and is not causing any new issues.  If you don't want to use the dll, you can use the windows scheduler, and this powershell script to restart WorldClient.

New-Item -Path "c:\mdaemon\app\RestartWC.sem" -ItemType File -Force

We will release MDaemon 23.5.3 as quickly as we can to address the memory leak in webmail.  

Without knowing the details of the other issues, we won't know if they are fixed or be able to fix them.  Please create a new post and report the issues, or contact our support team directly and report them.

• 1 / 2