The email addresses specified by the BCC field are missing from the msg file | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

The email addresses specified by the BCC field are missing from the msg file

• Hi,

I have designed a plugin to process messages. I noticed that the email addresses specified by the BCC field are missing from the msg file. I introduced the message processing function to PreMessageFuncName and SMTPMessageFuncName but did not get any results. Everything about messages sent by To, CC fields is OK. What is the solution to get the email address associated with the BCC field?

• BCC stands for Blind Carbon Copy and messages normally do not contain a BCC header, even when a recipient is added to the BCC field. The recipients you add in the BCC field are invisible to all other recipients. This option is useful if you prefer to keep the email addresses private. 

If addresses in the BCC field were added to the message in the BCC header, it would not be blind, all other recipients would be able to see the addresses.

Instead of looking at the To and CC headers, I would suggest looking at the CTL file associated with the message.  It will be in the same directory with the same file name, the extension will be CTL instead of MSG. The CTL file will have a [Recipients] section that lists all addresses that MDaemon is going to attempt to deliver the message to.

• Having the recipient's name in addition to the address is important to me. As I can see in the CTL file, the recipient's name is not available in the [Recepients] section and only the recipient's address is used.

for example

[Recipients]
    0=user1@my-domain.com user1@my-domain.com

Why is user1@my-domain.com repeated twice?

What is the difference between the left and right addresses in that line?

• The first address is the actual local address.  The second address is the address the message was sent to. 

For example, if you have an alias for user1@domain.com = user2@domain.com and a message was sent to user1@domain.com, then recipients section of the CTL file would look like this:

[Recipients]
    0=user2@domain.com user1@domain.com

Unfortunately there is no real name available in the message for recipients receiving a copy of the messages via BCC.  If the address that the message is being BCC'd to is a local address you can look up the real name in MDaemon's user list.