Importing Accounts from Active Directory | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

Importing Accounts from Active Directory

• Hello.
    I apologize for my English.
    I can’t figure out how importing from MS AD works.
    I have many users, all have filled in the field %mail%.
    I use: Accounts - Import - from SAM/AD. In the next window, select the target domain and disable "Make account mailboxes equal to the SAM/AD account name". I am trying to add several users.
    As a result, the accounts are equal to %userPrincipalName%. And I need the accounts to be equal to %mail%.
    I’ve done a little research, found out about the existence of the ActiveDS.dat file, which is the import template. I open this file, I find the string:

Mailbox=%userPrincipalName%

I exchange it for:

Mailbox=%mail%

I repeat the import procedure, but the result remains unchanged.
    What am I doing wrong?

I need it to work, because it will take a very long time to create so many users manually. Besides, you want users to be able to login through AD.

• The ActiveDS.dat file is not used by the Import process.  Its used by the AD monitoring feature.

In general, you cannot set the mailbox to the value of %mail%.  The %mail% value is expected to contain an email address, the mailbox should only be the portion of the email address to the left of the @ in the email address.  If your AD environment is different and the %email% value is only the mailbox, then you can disregard this, leave the ActiveDS.dat file configured the way it is, and take a look at the AD monitoring feature.

The import process has you set the domain that accounts will be imported into in MDaemon.  For the import process, your only option for setitng the mailbox is to "make account mailboxes equal to the SAM/AD account name"  If this box is not checked the New Account Template is used to create the mailbox name based on the real name.  The template can be adjusted.

Is there some pattern that is used for the mailbox that is based on the user's name?  Is there some other field in ActiveDirectory that only contains the mailbox that should be used?

If the value of the %mail% field in AD is set to the full email address, then AD Monitoring feature does give you the ability to set the email address for an account by editing the ActiveDS.dat file and uncommenting the Email=%mail% value.

; Uncomment this template if you want to explicitly set the email address rather
    ; than let the process create it from Mailbox and MDaemon domain name
    ; Email=%mail%

If you'd like more information on AD monitoring, please take a look at https://help.mdaemon.com/MDaemon/en/active-directory_monitoring.html