Emails containing strange characters using 7.07 | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

Emails containing strange characters using 7.07

• I have a user that was using POP3 with Outlook 2019, but of course, did not have access to shared calendars and folders etc.

I disabled her POP3 account in Outlook and added and MC account and instructed her to use it going forward.

The prblem is that almost every email she writes has gobblygook inserted in the email.  Here is an example line:

Doesn\t look like it worked \u9785 ? If you want to wait until next week to take another stab at it, that\s fine

Does anybody know the solution?

• @John This sounds like an encoding issue. 

What format is the email being composed in?  Plain Text, HTML, or Rich Text? 

Is the user sending a plain text email when this occurs?  Meaning, does the message have a HTML signature or contain embedded images? 

Is the issue only occurring with message replies, new messages, forwards, or multiple/all types of messages?  

• I'm 90% sure they are HTML format.

I am not sure if it matters if they are replies or new ones, will have to ask her.

I did see other discussions about this and MD Connector was mentioned.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlook-email-problem/38c4406f-a081-4a2e-90c2-deaf319bd9c9

• @John The issue in the Microsoft link is over 8 years old, referring to an out of support version of Outlook and the MDaemon (Outlook) Connector. 

If we find out how to reproduce the issue, we can get a better idea of what's happening.  For example, if the issue happens with every new message the user sends and the user has a signature with images or text, we'd want to verify if the same issue occurs if you leave the signature out of the new message.  

• For sure, it's the apostrophy at least that is getting replaced by \

Below was her answer to me.

Hi John,

I believe I have always used HTML prior and now. I\m not sure how to tell how other people are sending to me It only happens on replies, not new messages. AND, NEW UPDATE I looks like it\s only happening when there is an emoji typed into the email. WEIRD! So far, I\ve only been typing in the smiley face emoji.

Below is how the "sent items" version looks when viewed in WorldClient.

Hi John,

I believe I have always used HTML prior and now.  I’m not sure how to tell how other people are sending to me…  It only happens on replies, not new messages.  AND, NEW UPDATE… I looks like it’s only happening when there is an emoji typed into the email.  WEIRD! So far, I’ve only been typing in the smiley face emoji. 

• @John In Outlook, select the File ribbon, select Options, and select Mail.  Here you can verify which format is being used to compose messages.  

Select the File ribbon again, select Options, select Advanced, and scroll down to 'International Options.'  What character set is the preferred encoding for outgoing messages set to?

Based on the message you receveied with the broken encoding, this means that an emoji was in the email response? Is there a signature in the email that's been added and/or are there any attachments in the email you received?