Using DNSBLs | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

Using DNSBLs

• When I look at the DNSBLs page, only spamcop is checked. The message below is there.

Some DNSBLs have requirements which you must meet in order to use their service. If you do not meet the requirements of a particular DNSBL you should not use it. 

Is that why none of the Spamhaus isn't checked and why it stopped the free one stopped working months ago and now more spam comes in?

Do I have to pay the $250/year to use Spamhaus DQS?  Or is that a competely seperate service from DNSBLs?

• Hello John,

What version of SecurityGateway do you have installed?

Back in version 1.1.2 the Spamhaus lists were disabled by default. This was documented in the release notes:

Once you enable them, they should remain enabled. I tested this by installing version 9.03 and enabling the zen list, then upgrading to the current version, 9.50. At some version between those, we split the spamhaus lists into entries for their individual feeds so that you can choose specifically which to enable. They were all enabled after the upgrade. Without knowing what specific version you're using, I'm not sure what will be in your list, I would need to research at what version we did that, I cannot remember which off the top of my head.

Spamhaus does run DQS as a separate paid service, but depending on your usage, they do have free levels you may be qualified for. That's explained on their site here: https://www.spamhaus.com/product/data-query-service/ and here: https://www.spamhaus.com/terms-of-use-fair-use-policy-for-free-data-query-service/

If you have questions about whether you are qualified for their free service, I would advise you to contact them directly.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions or if I have misunderstood your question.

• I am running SG 9.5, first installed 9.03.

Thanks for the additional info, I'm mostly referring to MDaemon's use of DNSBL's being blocked on most of my clients servers that used to work.  I did read up on it and the process of trying to make it work was over my head and didn't seem that easy to do.

I'm now using SG on my end before offering it to my MD clients and am hoping that I can start using some DNSRBLs.