Outlook 2021 with MDConnect 7.0.7 hanging up on start | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

Outlook 2021 with MDConnect 7.0.7 hanging up on start

• We have been migrating users from Exchange to MDaemon over the last several weeks.  We have had 5 users who's profiles have become corrupt after converting them, where upon starting Outlook with the MDaemon connector, it just sits on the splash screen saying "Processing".  This does not happen the first time we start their mailbox.  We have had one user that was using his mailbox for 4 days before the issue started happening.  We have had one user that the issue has popped back up through two profile rebuilds on the initial machine, as well as a new profile on a totally different computer.  The issue persists if I make a copy of his profile and copy it to another machine as well (using ForensiT Transwiz).  If we start outlook using the "/safe" switch, we can get in and send/receive email, but lose the abilities that are granted through the MDaemon connector.

We have opened two support tickets on this, one the first time that we saw it, and it was closed after we recreated that user's profile, thinking it was a one time thing.  The latest was yesterday, when the issue popped up for the third time for a single user.  The tech suggested uninstalling office and the connector using Revo uninstaller, which was done and not fixed.  He insisted that it is not an issue with the MDaemon connector. 

We have tried deleting the profile and recreating it in Outlook, deleting the registry keys under HKCU\Software\Alt-N and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Profiles, and even deleting the Alt-N directory under APPDATA\Roaming.  The only thing that gives us immediate access to the mailbox using the connector is to totally rebuild the profile.  Is there anything we can check to see what is causing the issues?  We do have a machine available that this is happening on.

• Thank you for your patience. I checked with technical support, and I believe I have an idea of what steps were tried during your contact with them, if we did locate the correct records. I believe you have a support agreement contract, so at any time you are free to contact them again to continue working on this via email or telephone.

I believe that it would be good to make sure that the the uninstall of MDaemon Connector was complete and a new install of the correct version was accomplished, as I believe that at one point you had both the 32 and 64 bit versions installed. Also, were there any other Outlook plug-ins installed as well? Hve those been disabled? At this point, do you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Office installed?

To uninstall MC:
    1) Open Control Panel.  Click on "Programs | Uninstall a program"
    2) Highlight "MDaemon Connector" and click "Uninstall" Follow the prompts. Note any errors, and please let us know.
    3) Let's make sure that all the files are uninstalled.
    - Go to "C:\Windows\System32" 
    Make sure that following files do not exist:
     MDConnector32.dll
    MDConnector32-rc.dll
    MDConnector32X.dll
      If they do exist, unregister the files and then delete the files.
    Unregister file via command prompt running as an administrator (ie.  regsvr32 /u mdconnector32.dll)
    - Go to "C:\Program Files\Alt-N Technologies".  If the "Outlook Connector" folder exists, delete it.
    4) Delete the existing Outlook profile via Control Panel (ie. Control Panel | User Accounts | Mail | Show Profiles | Select profile and click on "Remove".
    -Make sure that the profile has been deleted in the registry.
    -Run regedit, run as administrator.
    -Go to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0 (or whatever Outlook version number that applies)
    -Delete the profile
    -Go to %appdata% (ie. C:\Users\kliev\AppData\Roaming\Alt-N\Outlook Connector 2.0\Accounts\%Profile Name%).  Delete the profile name folder if it exists.

Then install the appropriate version of MC for the version of Outlook - x32 or x64. Once it's installed, if you can provide a copy of the installer log located at %temp% (ie. C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp) and the file name normally begins with "MSIxxx.log" (ie. MSI9ac5f.log) that may be useful.

If there are any other Outlook plugins please disable them and set up a profile to test with.

Did you obtain any hang dumps when the problem was occurring and send them to tech support?

• @Russ

If I understand you correctly then I have experienced that same problem over the past several years with all versions of MD Connector and MDaemon Support has not resolved the problem. 

Here is my theory. MD Connector uses IMAP to sync messages. I wonder if MDaemon's IMAP fetch setting is too small (perhaps 16K) and causes the client to crash with large attachments. This crashing frequently corrupts the Outlook profile. Just google "imap fetch performance" for insight into what impacts IMAP performance.

Here are a few things I've done that sometimes, but not always, remedy this:
    1. Exit Outlook, then rename (or delete) the file LocalCache.db in the folder %userprofile%\appdata\Roaming\Alt-N\Outlook Connector 2.0\Accounts\Outlook\emailaccount
    2. See if an account has dozens of emails with attachments larger than 5MB. Get these off the server and thus out of Outlook by permanently deleting them.
    3. Abandon MD Connector and just use Outlook with ActiveSync profile, or webmail or another email client, such as eM Client.

• I'm having exact same issue with Outlook 2021 and OC 7.0.7

Seems like something is wrong with OC 7.0.7, if we switch to ActiveSync Outlook works fine, however we do need to have access to Public contacts so ActiveSync is not an option for us.

• Hello @Dmitry

There is an option in ActiveSync to "Virtually merge public contacts into default contacts". Here is a brief explanation of this option:

"Enable this option if you wish to merge the public contacts with the user's default contacts on the device. This is only a virtual merge, that is they are not actually copied to the user's contacts folder. This can be useful on clients that do not support Global Address List (GAL) searches. This is disabled by default."

If you are still having an issue with the Outlook Connector please submit a support request here:
    https://mdaemon.com/pages/support-request-form

Thank you.

Marlon
    Application Support Engineer

• Hi Marlon,

Where excatly this option located? Can't find it...

• @Dmitry 

It is under "Setup\ActiveSync\Tuning\Global Client Settings Defaults\Content Handling"

https://help.mdaemon.com/mdaemon/en/activesync--client-settings.html